Thursday, October 2, 2008

It smells like you

I wonder if fall will always envelop me like this. Every year, when I get into my car on the first day that really feels like fall, I am instantly a senior in high school. No matter where I'm going or what I'm really doing, in my head I am 17 and all the windows are down and the stereo is blaring and I am happy, even though my friends are a mess and I'm kind of alone.

The windows are open in my apartment and the last thing I want is peace and quiet. I want the air to smell like apple cider or pumpkin pie, and I want to sit on the floor of my bedroom to do homework or wait for the phone to ring. And I want to play this cd until my iTunes play count reads 100. And I want to drive to church and spend my afternoons at Shepherd with the loves of my life.

I don't miss anything about high school except days like these.

"24? Not a kid anymore. Are you kidding me?"

No comments: