Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 18 of the job search

This is the kind of day I've already had too many times, and the kind that will probably keep coming for a lot longer than I'd like. Today I woke up and realized I still didn't have a job, so I spent 2 hours submitting resumes to jobs I'm not qualifed for in cities that only sometimes include Nashville. At the end, I felt worse than when I started.

How can I simultaneously be living the greatest and worst times of my life? I love being married and living with Luke. I love waiting for him to come home every day and dreaming up the next thing we can do together. But I spend every day alone, looking for jobs and feeling pretty worthless. Some days, like yesterday, are busy and I don't think about what's going on. But the rest of the time I am forced to focus on my unemployment and how limited my prospects seem to be. Sometimes I think I should go down the street and apply at Starbucks, but common sense gets the better of me and I remember I have a master's degree and I want a job as a nurse practitioner.

I'm reading Abba's Child for the 3rd time. I think I've scribbled notes and underlines on every single page. Sometimes I get frustrated because I'm still fighting the same battles I fought when I was 16 and I first read that book. But then I see comments I've written or dates next to certain passages, and I know who I was then and what I was experiencing, and I am thankful that I'm not that person anymore.

This week I found Jeremiah 31:16:
"This is what the LORD says: 'Restrain your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears, for your work will be rewarded,' declares the LORD."

This promise has become my daily prayer.

2 comments:

Marcia M. Ghali said...

yeah! so glad to see you blogging. and i love it that your new initials are BAW.

love you!

marcia

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

This is the 'resting' phase every nurse goes through. It's God's way of saying good work my child, now you get to rest. Unfortunately, that doesn't come easy for women, nurses, or overachieving Hartys. Be patient little woman and enjoy the time off, because it will be all hustle and bustle. Know we love you and think of you often. Love the Blog!